Founder and director John Barnett has worked in the cycling industry since 1973, having been a mechanic and service manager for four shops. Beginning in 1980, Mr. Barnett was the first to offer independent bicycle-mechanic courses in the bicycle industry. In addition to his shop mechanic and service manager experience, Mr. Barnett writes the only technical manual for professional mechanics – Barnett’s Manual: Analysis And Procedures For Bicycle Mechanics, which has been in publication since 1989. He also has served as a columnist and associate editor for bicycle-industry consumer and trade periodicals. He invents and manufactures tools for bicycle mechanics, consults with several bicycle tool companies about tool design, and designs and builds software for use in managing service departments. Mr. Barnett was also one of the founders of the BSE (a national mechanic certifying body). He has also worked as a team mechanic for a team in the Coors Classic (an international 10-day stage race).
- Started in bicycle industry in 1973.
- Has taught professional mechanics longer (since 1980) than anyone else in the field.
- Experience in four shops as mechanic or service manager.
- Race mechanic experience.
- Author of Barnett’s Manual, The Service Manager’s Handbook, Selling Service, The Ultimate Flat Rate Chart, and The Complete Checklist System.
- Founding member of the BSE.
- Columnist and associate editor for consumer and trade bicycle magazines.