Bicycle Assembly and Maintenance (BAM)
BICYCLE ASSEMBLY & MAINTENANCE IN A NUTSHELL
This course is suited to shop assemblers, home mechanics, and fleet maintenance personnel. All aspects of assembling, adjusting, and basic maintenance of derailleur bikes are covered. For the experienced assembler who would like to take the BSE Level 1 Certification test, this course is excellent preparation.
WHO TAKES THE BICYCLE ASSEMBLY & MAINTENANCE PROGRAM?
- This course is designed to suit a wide variety of students, such as:
- Individuals seeking employment as a bicycle assembler or intern mechanic.
- Cycling enthusiasts who would like to do all of their own home maintenance.
- Anyone who is interested in taking Bicycle Repair & Overhaul, but feels, due to their relative lack of experience, that the partial repetition of taking both programs would be advantageous.
- Sales and management-oriented professionals who need more technical familiarity with the bicycle to enhance their sales and management skills.
- Bicycle assemblers who need to improve their assembly skills.
HOW LONG IS THE COURSE?
Bicycle Assembly & Maintenance takes five days to complete. There are five class days of eight hours each, for a total of 40 classroom hours.
DO I NEED TO PURCHASE A TEXTBOOK?
Yes, Barnett's Manual DX is required for the Bicycle Assembly & Maintenance class. We will provide loaner laptop computers for use in class to anyone who needs one. However, if you have a laptop computer we strongly encourage you to bring it with you.
HOW MUCH HANDS-ON WILL I GET?
Approximately thirty-five percent of the class time is divided between demonstration and lecture, and sixty-five percent is hands-on lab work.
WILL I GET A CERTIFICATE?
Based on your performance and attendance, you will earn a certificate of successful completion. For details see the attendance official policies.
WHAT KIND OF BIKES WILL I LEARN TO ASSEMBLE?
The knowledge gained will be applicable to all types of bikes, inexpensive and exotic, road and off-road, adult and juvenile.
WHAT DOES IT COST AND WHEN IS IT OFFERED?
See the Schedule & Prices page for price and schedule information.
WHAT SUBJECTS ARE COVERED?
- BEARING UNIT
- Cartridge bottom bracket installation
- Threadless headset adjustment
- Hub and freehub bearing adjustment
- DRIVE TRAIN COMPONENTS UNIT
- Square-taper crank arm removal and installation
- Spline-fit crank arm removal and installation
- Pedal installation
- Cassette replacement
- Cassette wear
- Chain removal, sizing, and installation
- Chain wear
- WHEEL UNIT
- Truing wheel lateral (side-to-side)
- Truing wheel radial (round)
- Adjusting wheel dish (rim centering)
- Adjusting wheel tension
- Stressing and stabilizing wheel true
- Tire installation
- Dropout alignment
- Wheel installation
- Flat tire repair
- SEAT AND HANDLEBAR UNIT
- Seat installation
- Stem alignment and installation
- Handlebar installation
- Drop-bar handlebar alignment
- MTB handlebar alignment
- DERAILLEUR UNIT
- Gear hanger alignment
- Shift lever installation
- Cable routing and installation
- Rear derailleur installation
- Rear derailleur limit-screw adjustment
- Rear derailleur indexing adjustment
- Front derailleur installation
- Front derailleur limit-screw adjustment
- Front derailleur indexing adjustment
- BRAKE SYSTEM UNIT
- Brake lever installation and alignment
- Cable routing and installation
- Dual-pivot brake installation and adjustment
- V-brake installation and adjustment
- Mechanical disc-brake installation and adjustment